Monday, March 22, 2010

Butterflies in the garden

Does this face say happy?

We headed to the Botanical Gardens to check out the butterfly exhibit. The exhibit features over 12,000 tropical butterflies. I caught a quick shot of Ryland watching a low flying butterfly flutter around.

Both Ryland and Harker were in awe of the conservatory. They were more interested in their surrounds than the butterflies. The conservatory is a little enclosed rain forest that feels very tropical and very warm. It felt like it was 100 degrees with 100% humidity.
Checking out the fish and waterfall.


I have no idea what species this blue butterfly is, but it was one of the many brightly colored beauties.
Ryland turned into a butterfly hunter. He inched his way down the rock trying to get a closer look at the butterfly. I very quickly jumped in to make sure he didn't slap it. How would I talk our way out of that one? Your son killed a super rare species that keeps the ecosystem balanced. Um, how much should I write the check for?
One of two large moths that came out of their cocoons the day of our visit.

After admiring the butterflies and sweating off at least two pounds, we took a stroll around the gardens. It was a gorgeous day and perfect for a little outing. Ryland and Harker posed for a photo by one of the fountains.
You all know how I am about flowers, and I thought these vibrant poppies were so cheerful and bright. I immediately thought about how perfect they would be in an upcoming wedding.

No comments: