Friday, March 5, 2010

No more paci

The moment we have been dreading arrived today. John Chris and I have talked about when we would take Ryland's paci away, and we both decided on the first Friday he was feeling well. I did some research online and found 2 options. Option 1 cold turkey. No games here. All of the pacis would just disappear one day. The article on Babycenter said it would be 3 days of pure hell. Option 2 sabotage. Cut the tip off the paci and trim just a little off every day. Eventually the child would think it was broken, and they would be over it.
We decided on option 1. We chose a Friday so the "hell" would be over the weekend and would not interfere with the important work sleep during the week.
We put Ryland down tonight without his paci, and the crying immediately started. I listened for 5 minutes and then went in his room to check on him. He was throwing a huge fit. I tried picking him up to calm him down. Nope. Ryland would not have it. I put him back in his crib, and I ran to the computer. I started googling "paci weaning". I hear my baby screaming and it is killing me. I literally feel physical pain.
Twenty minutes later he stops crying. I go in to check on him, and he is out. He cried a total of 25 minutes, and it nearly killed me. I can't imagine doing this in the middle of the night when he wakes up. Cross your fingers!

No comments: