Friday, June 18, 2010

Tubes and adenoidectomy

Ryland is getting tubes today. He may also get an adenoidectomy, but we won't know until the doctor checks them out. He was a sleepy head on the way to the hospital.

He finally decided to wake up a little when we arrived at the hospital. I am sure he was wondering what was going on so darn early in the morning.
Now the little mischief monster comes out. Ryland was very curious about the bed and the hospital equipment. We let him play with it for a little while we waited. He quickly decided that they were all boring. We couldn't give him anything to eat or drink, so things started getting uncomfortable very fast.

After waiting about an hour and a half, it was time. John Chris gave Ryland hugs and kisses, and I took him back. The nurses had prepared me for the Giggle Juice and said that it would calm him down before the real anesthesia. I sat in a dark little room with him while one nurse blew bubbles and another shot the Giggle Juice up his nose. All hell broke loose. Ryland started screaming, crying, and arching his back. I tried to calm him down, but another nurse kept rushing him to go on back. I rocked as long as I could, and he started to calm down. As they wheeled him out of the room, I could not hold back my tears.
John Chris and I sat in the waiting room for about 35 minutes before the doctor came to tell us how the surgery went. Ryland's adenoids were huge, so they were removed. The doctor said everything went according to plan, and he would be in recovery soon.
About 10 minutes later, we were called back to the recovery area. He was barely awake and drifting in and out. When he would wake up, he could feel the IV in his foot, and he would start kicking and screaming. John Chris rocked him while I held the IV and the monitor wires up so they wouldn't pull his skin. I couldn't help but think about the time we spent with Ryland in the NICU. It is so hard to see your baby in the hospital.
Ryland was released with a few prescriptions and some magical ear drops. We headed by the pharmacy and then home. He slept most of the afternoon, but when he was awake, he was acting a little drunk. He stumbled a good bit and laughed a lot.
We are hoping and praying for an improvement with ear infections, and we are so happy things went well.

1 comment:

A and E Hein said...

I could not imagine how tough that must have been for all three of you. Glad to hear all is well.