Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Animal visit goes crazy

I will start by saying I should have known better.......
It was pretty outside this afternoon, so I thought we could go for a walk. I put Ryland in his wagon, Cooper on his leash, and grabbed a bag of carrots for the animals. We walked to the front of the community and across the street to see the animals. As soon as Cooper knew where we were going, he started walking a little faster and got out in front of us. He was practically dragging us.
We parked the wagon on the side of the road, and we walked up to the fence. The animals came right over to us. The carrots must have really been tasty to them. We could not feed them quick enough. This was the first time I have let Ryland touch and feed the miniature horses, and he laughed like crazy. Cooper was a bit jealous that the other animals were getting fed, so we had to give him a few carrots.
Everything went just fine until we got ready to head home. I pulled the wagon back to the side of the road and put Ryland inside. My cell phone rang and spooked the horses. Off they went running down the fence. Cooper took off after them, yanking the leash out of my hand. I tried backing the wagon down the hill to grab Cooper, but he would not come to me. He just ran and barked at the horses. Ryland started screaming with excitement! I tried calling Cooper back, but he was uninterested. Come on, I thought to myself. Why did I do this?
About that time a police car pulls up. The officer pulls up and asked if I was OK. I told him yes, and that I was just trying to wrangle a toddler, wagon, and a crazy dog. He called in a "citizen assistance". He parked the car and chased Cooper down for me. He thought it was hilarious. I am thankful he came along, but I was a little embarrassed. Oh well.
Citizen assistance. I will have to remember that one.

No comments: