Friday, June 1, 2012

Crazy fun

I know, the photo is sideways.  I have tried everything to rotate the image, and I finally just gave up.  It's funny because that pretty much sums up the day. 

We needed to order passports for the boys, so they will arrive in time for our trip to Anguilla.  John Chris and I made plans and picked today to meet at City Hall.  I had printed all the documents and filled them out, and I also made sure I had all the necessary documents to validate citizenship and identity.  I loaded the boys in the truck and took off to Town Square.  I wanted to make sure we had plenty of time to visit the Anthropologie sale before we had to meet John Chris. 

Town Square was bustling, so I was shocked that I lucked into a car leaving right by City Hall in the shade and on the end of the row.  I was more than thrilled.  It took a little while for the person to load up, but I was happy to wait.  I noticed another car pull up in the other direction and put their blinker on.  Hmmmm.  I sat there patiently, and as the car backed out the other car realized I wasn't budging and gave up.  I unloaded the boys and got them situated in the stroller, and we headed off the Anthropologie for 10 minutes of shopping.

I was in a heavenly place.  The rustic, clean scent of the store and the beautiful clothing and accessories almost had me in a trance.  Until I had to catch the clothes rack before it crashed to the ground.  My dear Reed must have really loved the feel of the adorable pants, because he was desperately trying to take them.  After a couple of sweet mom moments that included a few threats, I almost found myself begging them to be good for just a few more moments while I looked at the new sales items.  My nightmare was fueled by the young employee who kept telling Ryland how cute he was as he ran and climbed under the clothes rack.  Thanks!  He is so cute.  I then realized that my two angels were really putting a damper on my heavenly excursion.  I made a bee line for the door, just as John Chris walked in.

We head to City Hall only to find that the passport office was slammed.  There were 5 other groups of people waiting ahead of us, and I couldn't help but feel bad for them.  As we sat and entertained the boys, we overheard that checks were the only payment method accepted, and that 3 checks per transaction were necessary.  What?  I skimmed back over the paperwork, and the payment section said nothing of that nature.  I had only one check, so we had to make a decision.  I voted to give up and go home, but John Chris didn't think he would be able to get another afternoon off.  He headed to the house to grab the checkbook. 

I did the best I could to keep the boys from tearing that place apart, but there is only such much 2 active little boys could do in a waiting room.  We played with the globe a little before it turned into a pushing contest with the winner knocking it over.  I safely kept Reed from electrocuting himself with any one of the million electrical outlets.  I remembered I had a toy in my bag, so I pulled it out and started entertaining them with the circus zebra that flies out of the cannon.  I really felt great as they argued about whose turn it was to chase the flying zebra.  It was finally our turn, and John Chris walks in right before she calls us over to the desk.  All our paperwork looks great and our documents pass her inspection.  They boys take their photos, and I write out 3 individual checks for the fees. 

We are done.  Task complete.  John Chris is completely overwhelmed in just the fifteen total minutes he was there.  We both agree that MiCocina's dinner and drinks sound perfect.  The craziness only got a worse, and I knew it was time to go when the bus boy walked by our table and mumbled "JESUS" under his breath.  Yes, I would have to agree.  It was a mess.  I attempted to clean up as John Chris paid our tab.  We politely apologized to the tables around us as we head out, and both of the couples smile and laugh as they tell us how adorable the boys are.  I have to agree, but today was just off.

When we arrive home, Ryland starts begging to go swimming.  He immediately starts whining and crying.  I slipped his water wings on, and I made a dash for the pool.  I jumped right in which made him shriek with laughter, because I had my clothes on.  He jumped right in, and Reed followed right behind too.  The three of us laughed and giggled as John Chris snapped our picture.  This was the perfect end to a crazy fun day. 

No comments: