Monday, September 10, 2012

Changing schools

I received a call from the Director at Chapel Hill Children's School to let me know they had an opening for Ryland.  I was more than a little caught off guard and mentally pre-occupied, but I wanted to really take the time to consider this opportunity.

Chapel Hill is a wonderful program at our church, and it is highly respected among the parents in our area.  I had heard about all of its greatness, but to be quite honest I was annoyed with the underlying reputation of the mothers.  I am not one to get caught up in the "high society life" as my mom calls it.  The thought of church members lining up at 5AM for the possibility of getting their child in doesn't really appeal to me.  I am more than sure I will be so proud when my boys get admitted to wonderful colleges, but that is college, not pre-school. 

I dug a little deeper into the school and what makes it so superior, and I was more than impressed with everything I found.  Every parent and friend that I spoke with said that it was great, and that I should consider sending my boys.  It is something I had decided to put off until next school year, but I knew that I wanted Ryland to participate in a 3 day heavily concentrated curriculum based school before he starts Kindergarten. I decided to stop by the office one day after one of my MOPS meetings to see about the wait list since I had already missed registration.  I added  both the boys to the extensive wait list never thinking a spot would open.

Now here we are, both boys already enrolled at Stars Academy, and they had been to their first day.  Now we have to make a decision if moving Ryland to Chapel Hill is really the best for him.  I had a very open and honest discussion with the Director and many conversations with John Chris and close family.  After a lot of heart searching, praying, and weighing the what ifs, we decided to give it a shot.  We believe the atmosphere will give Ryland what he needs to academically excel and increase his social confidence. I am really nervous but excited about his new adventure.  We will see how the first day goes. 

No comments: