Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Meet the teacher

The boys and I had an opportunity to meet their new teachers this morning at school. 

I dropped Reed at his classroom first, and it all went nuts.  There were two other kids crying when we reached the class, and it set him off too.  I walked in with him attached to my leg screaming "Mommy" at the top of his lungs.  I tried to calm him down by pointing out that his friends were there, but he wouldn't have it.  After about 3 minutes of an all out fit, I decided to just go.  It broke my heart to leave him so upset, but I knew he would be over it soon.

I headed upstairs to Ryland's new class, and he was acting very nervous.  By the time we reached the classroom, he was crying and refusing to go in.  I squatted down to talk to him about how much fun it was, and how I would be right down the hall at a meeting.  I explained that we would only be there for a little while and then we would head to lunch with the Wood girls.  He wasn't buying it either.  I had to pull him into the classroom while he was crying and chewing on the collar of his shirt.  I left him crying and unhappy too.

All the parents attended a meeting about all the policies and rules, and then we toured the school.  I am very familiar with the school, since Ryland is starting his 4th class there, but I was very impressed with what they had to offer since he has moved into the big kids department.  They have a great great library, playground, lunch room, and music class.  I quicky realized my boys are growing up.

I headed back to Ryland's class to find him happy and content playing in the floor with one of his friends.  He told me he had fun in his big class and pointed out his wet collar.  He told me he chewed it because he was nervous.  (hmm...OK)  We headed downstairs to pick up Reed, and he was happy as could be sitting at the table drawing. 

Oh, the boys and their dramatic morning. 

No comments: