Thursday, April 7, 2011

Trip to the ER

I received a call from Ryland's school this afternoon telling me that he had a 103.5 fever. I immediately rushed to his school to pick him up and see what is going on. He looked terrible when I arrived, and I could tell he had been crying. We went straight home, and I gave him some Motrin to reduce his fever. Within an hour his fever had disappeared, and he was running around playing like a crazy man.

About 9 the fever started creeping back again, so I gave him a little more medicine. Unfortunately, we did not have the same results this time around. By 10:30 we had put Ryland in a cool bath to attempt to break the fever without success. We decided to head to the ER when his fever spiked again.

When I arrived at the hospital with Ryland, the ER was packed. I was pretty concerned, and he was getting emotional. After the triage nurse checked us in and took his temperature, we were immediately put in a room. The doctor checked Ryland for all the common problems like ear infections, etc. Everything looked normal, so he wanted a chest x-ray. He saw some fluid in Ryland's lungs on the x-ray, and diagnosed him with bronchiolitis (RSV).

After another round of Motrin, Tylenol, and a lime popsicle, Ryland's fever started coming down. The doctor prescribed a steroid and an antibiotic for 7 days. I asked the doctor about having an infant at home and what precautions we needed to take. He said to keep them apart and wash our hands often to help stop the spread of germs. We headed home about 1:00 completely worn out.

No comments: